Wednesday, May 29, 2013

How to store fresh ginger root

I don't know about you, but whenever I use a recipe that calls for fresh ginger, I go out and buy a fresh root, way bigger than I need, and then it goes bad before I can use it. I was watching food network and one of the chefs said that they kept it in their freezer. Genius idea. I can do that.

Well I kept it in the freezer, but the next time I went to use it, I couldn't cut a 1 inch chunk off because it was frozen solid. The only way to cut a piece is to thaw it, and once you thaw it, you can't refreeze it. Another problem is trying to peel the ginger root after it's been frozen. The skin sticks to the root and is more frustrating than its worth.

So how to solve this problem. First when you get the root home. Peel the whole root. Cut it into 1 inch chunks and put them in a Ziploc bag. Label and date them. When you need fresh ginger. Pull out a chunk and use. Fresh ginger at your finger tips anytime you need it.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment