Tuesday, October 23, 2012

M&M Pretzel Kiss bites


So this recipe is a classic but a goodie. I have no idea where this originated, but I got it from a co-worker when I was in college. When she would go home over the long weekends, she would always come back with containers for us. And best part, they are the perfect snack right from the freezer.

As I was thinking about posting this I did a quick Google search and about a million recipes popped up. But the one thing no one tells you is you can mess up this deceptively easy recipe. Seriously, I know but it is possible. If you let the chocolate sit too long in the oven you can burn it. If you don’t refrigerate them to cool almost immediately, they will turn white. Neither of these are good eats. So even though there are only a few steps to this recipe, you have to follow them or else you'll end up with crumbly messes.

This recipe is easily adapted to as many or as few as you want. I’ve made it in the toaster oven with 6 when I buy a bag of the Hershey’s unwrapped kisses, or I’ve made 2 full cookie sheets at a time so I have snacks easily accessible in the freezer at all times. The ratio is 1 kiss to 1 pretzel and 1 M&M. You can use any flavor of kiss or M&M you have on hand. The flavor combinations are endless. You can also use pretty much any snack pretzel you like but I find the twist or waffle shape work the best because the chocolate melts down into the crevasses and ensures a good bite that won’t come apart when cooled.

I’m a little neurotic when I eat M&M so I sort them by color and make an even number of colors. I also decided to make fall festive ones by only using the red, orange, brown and yellow. But I’m strange when it comes to my M&M eating habits. Weird I know, but it’s a fun fact about me.


M&M Pretzel Kiss Bites
24 pretzel twists
24 unwrapped Hershey kisses
24 M&Ms

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees. Place the pretzels on a cookie sheet and place the kiss on top. Put the cookie sheet in the oven for 2 -3 minutes. The kisses will be shiny. Immediately pull from the oven and press the M&M into the kiss. You need to gentle press the M&M in so that the kiss will stick to the pretzel and make one bite. Use a spatula and move the bites onto a plate and place in the fridge for 10 minutes to set. Then I move them to a freezer safe Tupperware and keep in the freezer. I’m not quite sure how long they will last in the freezer because I always eat them with in the month, but I’m sure they can last in the freezer for 4-6 months if you need them to.  

No comments:

Post a Comment