Monday, October 8, 2012

Pasta Fagioli



I made this recipe while I was working as a recreation director in a nursing home. One of my residents was constantly asking the cooking group to cook pasta fagioli;  he had the best recipe, passed down for generations. So we decided to give it a whirl and oh my goodness, it was terrible. The pasta suck to the bottom of the pot and burned because of not enough liquid. The soup base was so bland. The beans were mushy. It was terrible. He said it was my fault I didn't listen to how he told me to make it. So a few months later after him begging me again, we gave it a try with one of my staff this time helping him cook it, and once again epic failure.

So I took the basics of his recipe and experimented until I came up with this. When I brought it in, it was a hit. He loved it and so did everyone that tried it. So now I have my family version of pasta fagioli. Not sure if this is how it’s traditionally made, but it works for me and freezes nicely. Just be sure to slightly under cook the pasta because it is going to cook a little bit again when you reheat it and you don’t want it to become mushy.

Pasta Fagioli
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 medium onion, roughly chopped 
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 medium carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1 Tbsp. tomato paste
1/4 cup white wine
1 29 oz. cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
2 14.5 oz. diced tomatoes with onions and garlic
1 carton (32 oz.) chicken broth
1 handful fresh parsley, roughly chopped
1 tsp. dried basil leaves, crushed
1 tsp. dried oregano, crushed
1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
1/2 lb. uncooked ditalini or elbow macaroni 

In large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add in the onion, garlic and carrot. Cook and stir until translucent be sure not to burn the garlic or it will become bitter. Add in the tomato paste and cook for one minute. Deglaze the pot with the white wine. Stir well to get any brown bits up off the bottom. Then add in the beans, diced tomatoes, and chicken broth.  Heat until it begins to boil; stir in the basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Increase heat to high and bring back up to a boil. Once boiling add in the macaroni and cook for 8-10 minutes or until al-dente. You don't want to over cook the pasta because it is going to cook again when you re heat it. Allow to cool completely before freezing.

To freeze- pour into freezer save container making sure to leave 3/4 inch space to make sure the lid does not pop off while freezing. Make sure you label the container. I use masking tape but use what works for you.

To reheat- Stove top Thaw the night before. Pour the soup into a sauce pan and add 1/4 cup chicken broth. Cook until heated through. Serve with shredded Parmesan and crusty bread.
Microwave: remove lid and heat for 2-4 minutes depending on your microwave. Stir halfway through cooking.

3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to trying your recipe first cold rainy Sunday on my coast. Have not made pasta fagioli for a few years----conincidentally been thinking about fagioli. Will let you know how it comes out. Though, I must admit---I have a difficult time actually sticking to recipes-----VO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to hear it. Let me know how it comes out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is why a good idea is you need to connected examine prior to producing. You can actually distribute greater distribute this way. Kauai Whale Watching Tours

    ReplyDelete