Sunday, September 30, 2012

Apple Spice Cake Cookies


Autumn is in the air. The smell of apples and cinnamon are everywhere you go. This is my favorite time of year. My house gets filled with aromas of comfort and warmth from familiar foods. This recipe is one of my favorites. It’s so easy to make, even better to eat. 5 ingredients. That’s it, but the taste and textures are so flavorful, it brings all the comforts of holidays in one bite. 

This recipe has been a work in progress. My aunt started with the recipe, then my mom changed it a little bit, and now I have made it my own. Because there is no oil in the recipe, it is a much lower fat cookie, but believes me; you don’t miss it at all. These semi-homemade cookies are so easy to make and freeze perfectly for parties, packing in lunches, or even just to have on hand when you want a snack. 

This recipe makes about a dozen large cookies, but it is very easy to double or even triple depending on how many apples you have and cookies you would like to make.


Apple Spice Cake Cookies

1 box Spice Cake Mix (any brand)
1/2 cup applesauce (I used pear because I had a ton in the pantry)
1 egg
1 tsp. vanilla
1 medium green apple diced

Preheat the oven to 325 degrees and grease a cookie sheet. Pour the cake mix into a large bowl. Add in the applesauce, egg, and vanilla. Whisk together. Remember this is a cookie batter so it is not going to loosen up the way a cake mix will. Once it’s combined, fold in the apples. The dough is going to be very sticky, so using a spoon, scoop the dough onto a cookie sheet and cook for 15 minutes, or until the cookies are golden brown. Allow to cool completely and place in a freezer proof container or Ziploc bag. Be sure to date and label. They will stay in the freezer for 3 months.


No comments:

Post a Comment