Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Asian Braised Short Ribs


While one of my best friends was at the end of her pregnancy, she started putting meals together to cook in a slow cooker in her freezer. Basically, she takes all the ingredients, puts them in a freezer safe Ziploc bag, and freezes them. The night before she pulls it out and puts in the fridge to thaw. When she wakes up, she throws it all in the crock pot and sets to low. Presto. Dinner is served. I thought this was genius, and I started experimenting with some of these meals in a bag on my own.

I love short ribs, so when they go on sale, I buy the store out. Before I put them away, I mix up the ingredients and place them in different freezer bags. Not only does this marinate them as they thaw, but these Ziploc bags, store a lot better than a million little styrofoam trays.

This particular recipe is one I use for lettuce wraps. I pull the meat off the bone using to forks, so it becomes the consistency of pulled pork. Then I serve with bib lettuce leaves, shredded carrots, and shredded apple (my family doesn't like raw onion). But it’s also amazing served with rice, or even roasted potatoes. 

Asian Braised Short Ribs
5 lbs. Short ribs
1 1/2 cups Tamari (dark soy sauce) if you don’t have tamari use low sodium soy sauce
1 cup honey
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 cup sweet wine (I use Riesling, but use what you have)
1 cup apple cider vinegar
3 cups beef broth (can use water if you don’t have)
1 inch chunk of fresh ginger roughly chopped
3 cloves of garlic smashed
1 small onion chopped
1 Tbsp. fresh ground pepper
1 Tbsp. red pepper flakes
1 Tbsp. dark sesame oil

Get a gallon Zip lock bag and write the following on the bag. Remove from freezer night before cooking and thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Pour entire contents of the bag into the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours. Meat should be falling off the bone. Drizzle sesame oil into the pot and stir before serving. Place all the ingredients in a gallon Ziploc bag except the sesame oil. Lay completely flat to freeze. That’s it. When you’re in the mood, follow the cooking instructions you wrote on the bag. 



No comments:

Post a Comment