Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Green Tomato Kielbasi Soup


OK so this sounds weird, and honestly the ingredient list sounds weird too, but it really does make a good soup I promise. I was worried that the kielbasa wouldn't freeze well but it does. Now I use turkey kielbasa because my husband is a teacher and brings these soups for lunch and I don't need him to be gassy in front of his students. You could substitute regular kielbasa or use ham cut into 1 inch chunks.

Like I said last time I got a lot of green tomatoes in my farm share this past week and have been trying to come up with new and interesting things to do with them. I've only ever had them in salsa or fried. But I use it an almost as many ways that I use a regular tomato, the main difference being that you need to add some sort of acid to it because the green tomato doesn't have its own acidity.

You'll see in the picture that I have 2 whole jalapenos cooking in the soup, but when I make it again I’m only going to use one. I think it’s a little bit over kill and my husband agrees. It’s not bad; I just think it was a little too much. But you can play around with it, or leave it out altogether, it's up to you. Also I use one bottle of beer. I use what I have left over in my fridge but I wouldn't use a Coors or Budweiser, something slightly hoppier would be good. But use what you have, don't go buy a whole six pack for this recipe.
 
Green Tomato Kielbasa Soup

2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 package turkey kielbasa cut into half-moon shapes
1 bunch sliced scallions, sliced both white and green parts 
2 cloves garlic chopped 
1 12 oz. bottle of beer
2 bay leaves
6-8 green unripe tomatoes, chopped
4 c. low-sodium chicken broth
1 whole jalapeno
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
1/2 tsp. ground mustard
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried basil
Juice of one lemon

Heat the oils in a large stock pot and brown the kielbasa. This should take about 3-4 minutes. Next add in the scallions and garlic. Cook until they start to caramelizes, about 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally. Pour in the green tomatoes and cook for 1 minute. Deglaze the pot by pouring the beer in and scraping up all the little brown bits on the bottom. Add in the chicken broth, whole jalapeno salt, black pepper, ground mustard, oregano and basil. Cover and cook for 30 minutes. Add in the juice of one lemon and adjust salt and pepper. Cook for an additional 20 minutes. Serve with a dollop of sour cream or allow to cool completely to freeze. 
 






To freeze: cool completely then put in freezer safe container and leave 1/2 inch head space to prevent it from popping off during freezing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment