Friday, October 12, 2012

Meatballs



I thought this posted last night, but apparently i forgot to hit the post button. Sorry about that. To make up for it, throughout the day I will be posting various slow cooker bag recipes to freeze with these meatball. Some of the sauces for these bags have been posted on the blog already, but i will also be including two new ones. so check back periodically throughout the day for the additional recipes.

Everyone has their own meatball recipe; one that has been passed down from grandma, who got it from her grandmother. This is not that recipe. This is a combination of Alton Brown's, Joy of Cooking, and some inspiration of my own. I don't fry my meat balls. Shock I know, but I bake them in muffin tins (the Alton Brown method). This makes them less greasy, and I find makes them better when you freeze them.

I make 2-3 batches of these at a time and then portion them out into various slow cooker bags with different sauces, so they are ready to go when I am. Since they are cooked through, the slow cooker mainly heats the sauce and infused the meatballs with the flavors.

This looks like a lot of ingredients, especially compared to how simple my recipes normally are. However, I find most meatballs rather plain. I like my meatballs full of flavor on their own so I can eat them on their own if I so choose, or use them as a vessel to soak up some amazing sauces. Most of these ingredients are things that you have in your pantry anyway. Give them a shot. They may not be your grandmother’s recipe, but I enjoy them.

Meatballs
1 lb. ground beef
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 c. chopped fresh parsley (1/4 c. if dried)
1/2 chopped fresh basil (1/4 c. if dried)
1/2 c. grated parmesan cheese
1/2 c. fresh breadcrumb + 1/4 c. to coat
1 large egg, beaten
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
2 Tbsp. tomato paste
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. fresh grated nutmeg (1/2 tsp. if dried)
1 tsp. paprika (I use Hungarian Hot paprika, but use what you have)
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients, except the 1/4 cup of bread crumbs. Mix together using your hands. It’s a messy job, but there’s really no other way to do it. Be sure not to over work the meat or they will become dry and tough.

Place the remaining 1/4 cup of bread crumbs into a small bowl. Using a large Tbsp., portion the mixture into approximately 2 inch balls. Use your hands to shape the meatballs into balls, gentle squeezing as you form them. Roll the meatballs in the bread crumbs and place them in individual, miniature muffin tin cups. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and cooked through.

Allow to cool, completely. then place in a freezer proof container. To reheat, place in over (I use my toaster oven) at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes, until crisp. Serve. Or use in one of the slow-cooker meatball freezer bag recipes. and follow instructions. Enjoy

No comments:

Post a Comment